IICD OFFERS THE FOLLOWING DEGREES IN CRAFTS & DESIGN IN AFFILATION WITH RAJASTHAN ILD SKILLS UNIVERSITY.
- 4 YEARS UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE (B.Des.)
- 2 YEARS POSTGRADUATE DEGREE (M.Des.)
- 3 YEARS POSTGRADUATE DEGREE ( M.Voc.) (for non- design graduates)
Communication is a fundamental endeavour of the human condition. From the discovery of fire to that of agriculture, humans have evolved by the use of communication devices to pass on their know how to the next generation. Indeed, all of human progress and evolution has been only possible through the record, archival and retrieval of information and knowledge left by previous generations of humans.
Communication and crafts have a deep-rooted connection - the link between the two is as intricate as any handmade object itself. All crafts, whether sharp or blunt, translucent or opaque, hard or soft - communicate emotions to the beholder - they give cues on the function of the object. While some crafts are narrative in nature and communicate more directly, others are more subtle in their evocation.
Communication design can be used to effectively document (exhibition design), analyse (design thinking), storytelling (publication design), promote (branding), sell (social media and e-commerce) and protect (package design) a craft.
The aim of this programme is to create well-rounded and mature design professionals who are sensitive to the values and potential of craft. They are aware of the possibilities that design and technology can bring to a craft. Conversely, they are able to rethink how craft can impact design.
The program will provide opportunities for exchange between design students and craftspeople as well as to their material culture, rites and rituals, mythologies and narratives. Students receive a strong grounding in core communication design skills.
Our students will have skills that include:
- Expertise in visual communication - to strategise, articulate, distil and synthesise, compare and contrast content. To be able to effectively transform raw data into a well packaged, easy to understand form whether a book, presentation or website.
- Humanitarian and empathy-based skills and ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds, essential in this sector.
- A strong understanding of the materiality and function of craft - past, present and future.
Students will be able to work in the areas of documentation, articulation, archiving & showcasing, research, promotion & marketing, impact & innovation, empathy and empowerment.