- IICD has a project cell whose objective is to demonstrate an ideal intervention/development model of collaborative work in the craft sector.
- Objectives of IICD’s Extension & Development activities are
- To provide consultancy.
- Execute IICD’s Outreach Program for off campus Trainings.
- Showcase and market IICD’ s developments.
- Act as a Technical Agency on Government initiatives and projects.
- To research and document traditional practices and do diagnostic studies for forward action.
- Identify languishing traditional crafts and develop initiatives to revive the same under various Government schemes.
- Provide Design support to the craft sector and export oriented industries.
- Build a sound network of Designers, Consultants, and Experts on projects; Partnership with other institutes also involved in socio-economic development.
- To generate revenue and expertise.
- To build brand equity for various craft skills for regional groups and geographical clusters.
Projects Ongoing and Held
The project initiated in the past years are:
- Design Bank of Indian Embroideries: IICD have created an Archive of Traditional Embroideries of India. The Bank and its repository of Samples and Digital images offers a reference resource to practitioners, buyers & industries. More than 600 physical samples and 1500 digital samples have been sourced from different states of India. A Dedicated website has also been created for reference.
Organization: : Development Commissioner (Handicrafts), GoI, New Delhi.
- Technical Agency in KVIC initiatives of Cluster Development
- Development of Dausa Terracotta Cluster.
- Development of Bassi Weaving Cluster.
- Development of Patiala Phulkari Cluster.
- Set-up of Workshop under HRD Scheme of Development Commissioner (Handicrafts) A project was sanctioned to buy machineries, equipments and tools for workshops at IICD.
- Training of artisans from Afghanistan in Textiles A one week training was organized at IICD to train artisans in various textile crafts specially embroidery.
- Training of artisans from Afghanistan in Mosaic A one week exposure training program was conducted at IICD and industry to teach various methods of stone mosaic.
- NABARD Training Program Two short training programs were conducted to train artisans to design souvenirs in various crafts of Rajasthan.
- Training in Natural Fiber at UNA A 15 day training program was conducted at UNA, Himachal Pradesh to train artisans to design and produce new range of products using bann rope.
- Training in Block Making for NAMDA Craft A training program was organized at TONK, using the namda.
- Training of trainers One week training was conducted at the Institute for trainers from Upendra Maharathi Shilp Anusandhan Sansthan, Patna in six crafts.
- Rajasthan Festival IICD coordinated the sourcing of artisans for live demonstration of various crafts of Rajasthan at the 11 day event Rajasthan Festival, held at Mumbai.