- Link to community/cluster/industry
- To encourage research in industry, field study, enabling research with the craftcluster so that a partnership can be developed with craftsperson.
- To identify donor funding, prepare proposals and tie ups with DC(H) and other organization and foundation etc.
- To identify innovations that are dealing with the crafts sector internationally and thus form links/engagements with other countries.
- Encourage research residencies to enable exposure towards a culture and community through the process of sharing resources.
- To publish research findings in the form of articles/catalogues/books/photo-essays in Hindi and English so that the documents are of use for crafts-persons too and they do not feel restricted by language.
Currently IICD is involved with the research of languishing crafts of Rajasthan. Faculty members are also engaged in doing PhD from reputed institutes such as IIT Bombay and Vanasthali Vidyapeeth.
Various research have previously been conducted by faculty and students IICD such as the research and compilation of crafts across India which was done for the Mumbai International Airport Limited (MIAL) project and displayed in Mumbai.