IICD – At a Glance
- IICD was first registered as Institute of Crafts, Jaipur on 20th April 1995by the Registrar of Societies, Rajasthan, Jaipur under Rajasthan Societies Registration Act 1958.
- On 27th April 1998 its name was changed as Indian Institute of Crafts and Design, Rajasthan, Jaipur under section 12 of the said Act.
- The first batch of post graduate students was started in 1999 along with a Girls’ Hostel at Jawahar Nagar, Jaipur.
- The foundation of a new building was laid on 9th November 2001 and inauguration of the new building along with the Girls Hostel took place on 30th October 2002. The first convocation was held in 2003 for the post graduate students.
- The First floor of the present building was built in 2004, while second floor of the administrative building along with first floor of the Girls Hostel was built in 2006.
- The UG courses were initiated in 2005.
- In the initial stages IICD’s office was functioning in the office of Rajasthan Small Scale Industries Department, Udyog Bhawan, Jaipur. Then this office shifted to a rented building in 22 Godam Area, Jaipur.
- On 6th August 2007 a MoU was signed between Government of Rajasthan and Ambuja Educational Institute (AEI) for transferring the management of IICD to AEI under Public Private Partnership (PPP) model. A new Governing Council was also constituted by Government of Rajasthan for managing the affairs of IICD. In this Governing Council State Government nominated 5 very senior officers of the State Government as members along with 5 nominees from the AEI and 5 prominent experts in the field of Art, Crafts and Design.